The January 9th issue of MidWeek highlights Excellence In Kupuna Care, an annual physician recognition program, introduced in 2018 by MDX Hawaii to acknowledge and celebrate the high performing primary care physicians throughout the Hawaii who excel in six quality care metrics. This campaign is just one example of the strategy and execution around the high-quality care that agilon health delivers across its platform.
Excellence in Kupuna Care
The selection criteria included six aspects of medical care which are important for patients over the age of 65.
The primary care physicians recognized in the campaign demonstrated excellence in:
- Providing patients access to primary care services through flexible office hours, phone availability during non-business hours, and helpful office staff which reduces the frequency in which their patients utilize the emergency room.
- Closely managing chronic conditions, as measured by the number of their patients with acceptable blood pressure and glucose levels
- Recognizing the importance of follow-up visits with primary care physicians after discharge from the hospital to ensure patients understand the changes in medications, diet or lifestyle and patient care is monitored and coordinated.
- Offering preventative care and patient education through the performance of annual wellness visits for their Medicare patients.
- Rendering preventive screenings to identify disease early, such as breast and colon cancers, as well as the performance of routine Influenza immunizations.
The 2018 honorees are:
Emergency Department Utilization: Jinichi Tokeshi M.D., ManKwan Wong M.D.
Chronic Disease Quality Measures: Elizaga V. Fortunato M.D., Chang-Dich Lai M.D., Sharon Lawler M.D.
Annual Wellness Visits: Jose De Leon M.D., Chang-Dich Lai M.D.
Access to Care/Frequency of Primary Care Visits: Pon Sang Chan M.D.
Preventive Care: Kimberly K. Lund M.D., Maria C. Ilar-Revilla M.D.
The transition of Care Post Hospital Discharge: Keiichi Kobayashi M.D.
Quality healthcare starts in the primary care physician’s office. Congratulations to 10 primary care physicians who have been recognized for demonstrating their commitment to proving quality care to Medicare beneficiaries
For more information about the Excellence in Kupuna Care campaign, click here.
To read the MidWeek article, click here.